ESBATS – WORKING WITH MOON ENERGY
An Esbat is any work done on specific moons, and attuning ourselves to these energies.
Ancient custom – kiss back of hand as you first see the moon. Act to acknowledge the moon as a symbol of Goddess, but also that the Goddess truly dwells within.
Connection between the Lunar cycle and women’s menstrual cycles, the ebb and flow of the tides, the behaviours of animals, gave rise to the concept of correspondances, through which we learned to interpret all things, & also to the concept of sympathetic magic (which has been with us since the dawn of time).
Goddess invoked first in Esbat and Lunar ceremonies.
Can invoke her archetype, or a specific Goddess to suit purpose (e.g. personal significance or astrological placement).
Astrological correspondences if invoking specific Deity e.g. New Moon – Maiden Goddess – New moon is in Aries, call Athena (Warrior Maiden) or New moon is in Taurus, call Lakshmi (bovine associations)
The astrological sign the moon is in will affect the energy e.g. a Full moon in Scorpio will emphasize emotional issues & issues of dominance.
The Dark moon occurs when the moon is in conjunction with the Sun, as the Full moon occurs when the moon is in opposition to the Sun (when the Sun & moon are opposite each other). Symbolically represents the independence and power of the Goddess at its height during Full moon. The cycle also corresponds to the creation story, beginning with Goddess and God (Moon and Sun) united as One, then continuing through their separation and ending when they return to union again.
Because the Full moon is the opposition of moon & Sun, the Full moon will always be in the astrological sign exactly opposite from the one the Sun is in. The Dark moon will be the same as the Sun, but the following day (New moon), it might have already moved to the next sign so best to check.
This cycle corresponds to the creation story, beginning with the Goddess and God (Moon and Sun) united as One, then continuing through Their separation and ending when They return to union again.
ASTROLOGICAL CORRESPONDANCE FULL MOON
SUN-NEW MOON IS IN:
FULL MOON IS:
|March 21 – April 19||Aries||Libra|
|April 20 – May 20||Taurus||Scorpio|
|May 21 – June 20||Gemini||Sagittarius|
|June 21 – July 22||Cancer||Capricorn|
|July 23 – August 22||Leo||Aquarius|
|August 23 – September 22||Virgo||Pisces|
|September 23 – October 22||Libra||Aries|
|October 23 – November 21||Scorpio||Taurus|
|November 22 – December 21||Sagittarius||Gemini|
|December 22 – January 19||Capricorn||Cancer|
|January 20 – February 18||Aquarius||Leo|
|February 19 – March 20||Pisces||Virgo|
Lunar Folklore…Myths and Legends of the Moon (Patti Wigington, About.com Guide)
In some Native American legends, the moon is held captive by a hostile tribe. A pair of antelope hope to rescue the moon and take it the village of a good tribe, but Coyote, the trickster, interferes. The antelope chase Coyote, who tosses the moon into a river each night, just out of reach of the antelope. ..
- The word lunatic comes from the Latin luna, because it was believed that people were more likely to exhibit aberrant behavior during a full moon. Although studies have been done showing that emergency room visits and accidents are increased during the full moon period, there has yet to be conclusive evidence for causation.
- The moon seems to have an effect on animals as well as people. A Florida expert on animal behavior reports that hamsters spin in their wheels far more aggressively during the moon’s full phase. Deer and other herbivores in the wild tend to ovulate at the full moon, and in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, the full moon is mating time for coral.
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson, was inspired by the strange — and yet very true — case of Charles Hyde, a London man who committed a series of crimes at the time of the full moon.
- There is a British legend that if Christmas fell on the day of a dark Moon, the following year’s harvest would be a bountiful one. Some parts of the British Isles believed that a waxing moon on Christmas meant a good crop the next fall, but a waning moon indicated a bad one would come.
- In some countries, a halo around the moon means bad weather is coming.
- The first time you see a crescent moon for the month, take all your spare coins out of your pocket, and put them in the other pocket. This will ensure good luck for the next month.
- Some people believe that the fifth day after a full moon is the perfect time to try to conceive a child.
- In some Chinese religions, offerings are made to the ancestors on the night of a full moon.
Also see related posts under categories, including the Celtic Moon Calendar, New Moon, Full Moon, various meditations for both, Moon Names in 12 Month Cycle, etc.